Federal College of education was established in 1989 by Prof. T. I Eze as the pioneer Provost. The college started with 70 students made up of 23 males and 47 female students. The institution started with five academic programmes and later two programmes were added. There are:
School of Agric and Home Economies Education
School of Business Education
School of Education and General Studies
School of Fine and Applied Art Education
School of Industrial Technical Education
School of Sciences
School of Languages
Teaching practices is as old as the college. It is a compulsory six (6) credit unit course for all NCE students. It last for a full semester duration which runs at a stretch from the beginning of NCE III first semester to the end.
During Teaching Practice minimum of ten supervisions should be made on astudent before the final computations of such students TP score is made.
Teaching practice is an integral part of teacher education programme aimed at providing student teachers opportunity to put into practice their theoretical knowledge in a real school life situation. It also offers teacher educators and educational managers a golden opportunity for practical appraisal of the effectiveness of teacher education programme.
The following are coordinators since the inception of the college:
– Sir Ibe, Obumneke 1990-1994
– Dr. Orikpe, Ephraim .A. 1994-1997
– Ike, M.N 1997-1999
– Mrs. Nzelum, V.N 1999-2001
– Dr. (Mrs.) Ibekwe, C. N. 2001-2004
– Dr. (Mrs.) Okafor, E. N. 2004-2011
– Barr. (Mrs.) Assimonye, A. C. 2011-2013
– Dr. Okoyeocha, A. C. Oct. 2013 – Feb.2014
– Barr. (Mrs.) Assimonye, A. C. Feb 2014 – Oct. 2015
– Dr. (Mrs.) Okafor, E. N. Oct. 2015 – Date