Quality Assurance Unit was established in Federal College of Education (Technical), Umunze in 2006. At inception, it was established as one of the schedules of the Director of Academic Planning. It was only in 2014/2015 Academic session that it was removed from the office of Director of Academic Planning and established as a unit of its own reporting directly to the Provost.
Dr Anaekwe, M. C. Director Academic Planning 2006-2009 was the first head of Quality Assurance Unit. He handed over to Dr. (Mrs) Ejezie V. N. who headed the unit from 2010-2012. Dr Ejezie V. N. handed back again to Dr Anaekwe M. C. (2013 – 2014) From 2014/2015 academic year, Quality Assurance demerged from the office of the Director Academic Planning and was established as a full fledged unit under the directorship of Dr. Akamobi, I. who handed over to Mrs Obi-Uchendu, E. C. on December is” 2015. Mrs Obi-Uchendu E. C. is the current Director of Quality Assurance Unit.
FUNCTIONS AND OPERATIONAL MODALITY OF QUALITY ASSURANCE UNIT IN THE COLLEGE
The functions of the Quality Assurance Unit are to:
- Develop, apply and periodically review the quality benchmarks /parameters for various academic and administrative activities of the institution.
- Facilitate the creation of a Learner-centered environment conductive to quality education and academic staff professional growth.
- Provide feedback mechanisms for students, parents and other stakeholders on quality related issues.
- Disseminate information on various quality parameters of teacher’s education.
- Organize Inter and Intra institutional workshops, seminars on quality related themes.
- Document the various programmes/activities leading to quality improvement.
- Act as the modal unit of the institution for coordinating quality- related activities including adoption and dissemination of best practices.
- Work closely with academic department and the institution’s Management Information System (MIS) for the purpose of maintaining/enhancing institutional quality.
- Promote and help sustain the culture of quality in the institution.
- Lead the Internal self-assessment process and prepare and submit the- report to the management of the College and the National Commission for Colleges annually.
- Co-ordinate logistics during external accreditation assessment.
GENERAL PRINCIPLE GUIDING THE OPERATION OF THE QUALITY ASSURANCE UNIT
- Collective responsibility involving all staff and management of the College.
- Regular Liaision with the head of various schools and departments in a collegial non-authorian, non-punitive manner without compromising the standards prescribed by the National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE).
- Collaboration with Deans of Schools and Heads of Department in an atmosphere that is devoid of rancor, in order to enhance the quality of .the management and delivery of the institution’s programmes; and
- Promote and sustain the culture of quality in all aspects of the instruction’s operations.
MEMBERSHIP OF THE QUALITY ASSURANCE UNIT
The members of Quality Assurance Unit include:
• Representative of Schools
• Student Affairs
• Works and Services
• Staff Unions
• Student’ Representative